Monday, January 28, 2013

Nurse-ing

Look at those milk teeth. MILK teeth. Poor baby.

Last week my pediatrician told me to stop breastfeeding for "at least a week." My 17 month old had been sick with diarrhea and vomiting for 4 days. She said that any kind of dairy, including the kind from my home creamery, would induce the puke and just make the illness worse. I told her the only thing I could get baby to eat or drink for four days was breast milk and I was already worried about dehydration. The good doctor confided in me that if I just refused to nurse, she would "be desperate" and start downing the pedialyte.

I was unwilling to try.

I did, however, try the prescribed steroid (prednisolone) for her "slightly wheezy lungs." This went fabulously. Both the pediatrician and the pharmacist warned us that the drug (a syrup) was really disgusting. I had a treat ready for baby and the sink set up with her stool so she could play at it as soon as we got done shoving goo down her throat (traumatic for everyone). The first dose was administered in the 8th amazing hour since the last puke. We were so excited that she was keeping the fluids down! Until...

Yeah.

So after 3 days of puking upon receipt of medicine, we threw it all away and breastfed more often.

I know doctors are good when you need them. I just wish I knew when I needed them.

No comments:

Post a Comment